Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Americans’ Problem of Pronunciation

Americans’ Problem of Pronunciation

Americans have a problem with English pronunciation. Do not pounce on me; hear me out.

It is all a matter of aspirating consonants p, t, and k. I had severe problems getting Americans NOT to aspirate the consonants in my name - Raghuram Ekambaram. The ‘gh’ in my first name should be aspirated (as written in Sanskrit) and the ‘k’ not. OK, the aspirated ‘k’, despite my pronouncing it always unaspirated, occurred very infrequently, but not so the ‘gh’.

I just gave up and accepted my name as “Ragu”. The problem was it made my name identical to “Ragu”, the spaghetti sauce that came with the wrap line, “That’s Italian!” in TV advertisements! This is how I, a TamBrahm (Tamil Brahmin) from the then Madras, became an Italian!

There was a female graduate student, also a TamBrahm from Pune, whose name became, “YOUsha”, like Utah. Her husband, a white American, must be still be calling her the same. At that time, the North Korean dictator Kim Jon Un was not in currency then. That could have made things better for Usha.   

Why all this now, after returning to India in 1991?

Oh, the context is how the Democrat nominee for the President of the United States (POTUS) is being called on American TV. Aspirating the initial ‘K’; ouch.

It is not impossible, but Kamala’s (கமலா) father is a Jamaican and must have taken to his American friends’ pronunciation. It is also possible, that கமலா just got frustrated trying to correct her friends’ pronunciation (with aspirated ‘K’) and gave up and adopted the pronunciation (just like I did).  

In general, Americans CANNOT pronounce a name (that is not a normal Anglo-Saxon name) the way a native pronounces. They cannot pronounce the name of the one-time president of South Africa – Thabo Mbeki. They would not take the effort to roll their ‘r’s in Barrack Obama. God, do not let letters ‘s’ and ‘r’ come together, as in, ‘Sridhar’; this combination is “weird” (the current cuss word in political speech!) they would say. They would not have aspirated the ‘gh’ in my name even if the sky were to fall. I wonder how Chinese and Japanese proper nouns are mangled by Americans.

I believe I have made the case I mentioned at the start.

Raghuram Ekambaram 

2 comments:

Tomichan Matheikal said...

YOUsha made me laugh. Proper nouns have such problems, I guess. I have problems with the names of writers from certain countries. Unfamiliar names . I need to check their pronunciation online or somewhere. Schuyler, for example.

mandakolathur said...

Thanks a lot, Matheikal. An Indian (Bengali) acquantence of mine introduced hmself to Amrericans, of all hues including Indian-Americans, as "DATA" when the name was "Dutta". This grated on me, as you would imagine.

Raghuram