Wednesday, July 17, 2024

 Corrigendum and Addendum to my post, “How did this happen...”

A reader pointed out an error in what I wrote (without any authority as mentioned in the post, in the first revision and now here.)

Apparently, as per the authoritative voice in which the response to my post was given (I think (s)he is an authority on Hindu epics, specifically of Lord Vishnu), Lord Rama was asked by Sukrivan to showcase his skills in archery; it is here that Lord Rama’s arrow punched through seven trunks and plunged into the earth. Later, Lord Rama shot and killed Vaali with a single arrow, but as the picture shows (revision 2), Lord Rama was hiding behind a tree. There may be another story there.

The conflation of the two events is a major error, I admit, because and only because the instance itself carries no influence on what the post was arguing, if slightly later. 

The reader was asserting his superiority in knowing the epic, yet was silent on the technical point I was making; by the way, he did teach the subject at least one semester. If at all he is open to learning, he would have absorbed the supposed error in my narration and acknowledged the smoothness of teaching a technical point through an instance, even if wrongly narrated. A missed opportunity for his/her students to learn.

Sad

Raghuram Ekambaram 

No comments: