Sunday, October 06, 2013

I am confounded (hairan)

It was nearly 13 years ago that I learned the meaning of the Hindi word hairan. I am sure the word has many meanings to suit the situation, and the title phrase was uttered by a colleague of mine as we were going to office early in the day in another colleague’s car.
It was fateful phrase, as since that day I do not feel too friendly with the colleague who mouthed the title sentiment in Hindi. He saw cleaning workers on the road wearing reflecting jackets as they were sweeping the road. He was wondering why they should be given such protection. Now, the sense in which he used hairan must have become clear to you – “These low lives … why should they be protected with my tax money?”
I blurted out immediately – the speed of my response defines real time – in a severely contemptuous and brusque tone, “Their life is as valuable to them as yours is to you! Shut up!” I just could not control myself.
I was reminded of that exchange as I was walking down a four lane divided highway in the outskirts of Ranchi and saw women wearing safety gear as they swept the road. Hence, the photo below.


Raghuram Ekambaram 

No comments: