Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Go Saina!

I also got to see badminton and I was rooting for Saina Nehwal … She did so well in the third set to go up as much as 11-3 but lost it beyond that. That was a defeat of an Indian athlete I had a hard time reconciling with.

I wrote so here during the Beijing Olympics. Reading that today I felt it did not truly reflect the intensity of my emotions as I watched Saina Nehwal’s strategy and performance unravel as she vied for the medal rounds. I was quite disconsolate.

But, though not a connoisseur of badminton, as a general sports enthusiast I have followed her career ever since and have become a great fan of her. And, you can imagine how thrilled I was when I read in the papers that Ms. Nehwal had won the Super Series event last Sunday, the Indonesian Open and that too after scalping a series of high ranking players, including the “top-ranked Korean” and “the strongest Chinese”, the traditional powerhouses.

There are two articles about her recent victory in The Hindu of June 23, 2009 entitled, “Saina’s feat no less than winning All England title: Gopi Chand” and “Saina now a major threat to Chinese: Padukone”. Wow! Two All England champions felicitating her victory! Such unabashed endorsements! Prakash Padukone says that her style “reminded me of my own style when I was in my prime.” He wants to use the video of the finals at his badminton academy as an instructional tool! Another badminton great U. Vimal Kumar says that the Chinese must be very wary of her. The All England winner and Ms. Nehwal’s mentor P Gopi Chand is quoted as, “…there is a lot more hype that goes with the All England but the field here was as tough as it gets.” No petty professional jealousies. This bodes well for Ms. Nehwal as also for the sport in India.

But Mr. Gopi Chand is a realist. He cautions her fans, “Having given her all at Jakarta, it will be very tough for Saina to reinvent herself this week” at Malaysia Grand Prix Gold. He added that at the upcoming World Championships at home, “…realistically a semi-final spot should be taken as a good result” for her. Mr. Vimal Kumar agrees: “…fans should realize that it is not easy and and (sic) let her play the game, without hype and too much expectations.” Such concerned veterans and Ms. Nehwal is lucky to have them as her well wishers.

But this fan is not going to pay heed to the demands of sobriety. He is going all out. He wants Ms. Nehwal to win this week, the next and on down to the World Championships. He is greedy.

Go, Saina!

Raghuram Ekambaram

1 comment:

mandakolathur said...

I know Saina lost day before yesterday, but I am not heartbroken. Her mentor was right on the money. My expectations were perhaps unrealistic, but that is exactly the profile of an ardent fan, is it not? It is Go Saina! for me notwithstanding this set back. I will be rooting fro her at the Worlds.

Raghuram Ekambaram