Wednesday, February 09, 2022

My Fight against COVID Vaccination

I had to fight against myself on COVID vaccination, where I should get it administered it. That is, I was not against the vaccination per se, but statement, if any, I am making about myself should I opt for a private hospital over a government hospital or vice versa.

No, I do not carry any negative feelings about government hospitals or the doctors and nurses therein. I survived a horrific accident in the early-to-mid ‘90s of the last century, having been treated at a government hospital. Likewise, in the year 2000, after a private doctor gave up on me on a medical issue, it was a doctor at AIIMS, New Delhi, who got me back on track. I have reasons, you understand, for my soft corner for government medical facilities.

So, why was I on two minds about going to government hospital for COVI vaccination? The issue is government hospitals administer vaccination free of cost and private ones charge, nominal it may be, for the same.

Am I so busy that I cannot tolerate the bureaucratic procedures and delays that people warn me about in government hospitals? After all, it has been drilled into me for a couple of decades at least that private provision of infrastructure is efficient. Or, do I want to differentiate myself from the masses? More to the point, when in a tete-a-tete with my neighbour, don’t I want to show my class by spending for something that was available free elsewhere?

Now, shifting my internal argument on vaccination at a government hospital, I had only one point – I am availing government subsidy that I am truly not entitled to, whatever be the mechanisms. When I shifted to Srirangam from New Delhi, I applied for and got a ration card for the sole purpose of establishing my residence address. To this day, for over 31 years, I have had ration cards at every domicile but not once have I used it for availing government subsidy.

In fact, I have many years ago posted in my blogspace that when Amma Canteens were opened under the Chief Ministership of Ms. J. Jayalalithaa, suggesting that these canteens must have a box soliciting donations from those who are eating in them when they are not conscientiously entitled to it (no need for others to point this out). Like most of my blog posts, this too went almost unread.

This is precisely the argument I advanced against myself to discard the option of going to a government facility for COVID vaccination. There was, I honestly claim though offering no proof, no elitism in my decision.

I went to a private hospital in March of last year. That was when the news on vaccination stressed the heightened vulnerability of senior citizens (I was 66 years old, my wife and her spinster sister above 60 years old), when availability of vaccines was iffy.  I spent nearly two and a half hours, paid Rs. 250/- for each of us, and my commute to the hospital and back drained Rs. 200/- from my wallet.

For the subsequent shot, based on the logic that drove my first trip, I went to the same private hospital and the process took only about half an hour – procedural speed breakers having been removed.

For the “Precaution Dose” – this is what VM-NHPSMS names the third shot (no Booster Shot for them, and I agree – what is being boosted, we are not sure), I enquired at the private hospital and they informed that now, perhaps because the emergency is not felt so severely, they have discontinued their service.

I went to the government facility with no expectations and I was rewarded with the fastest process, jus 30 minutes for all three of us.

No cognitive dissonance. No internal conflicts for me on account of going to a government facility. I do not agree that I am availing a subsidy.

Subsidy offerings, when it is universal, is no subsidy at all. I am of this school of thought.

Quite an un-Neo-Liberal position this is.

Raghuram Ekambaram

  

No comments: