Monday, January 24, 2022

RBI Governor is not honouring his IOUs

 I am talking about the office of RBI Governor and not any individual in that chair in particular at any time.

A news item came and went without being commented. This comment of mine is truly dated, nearly a year after the news!

It said that from February 16, 2021 (the February 15-16 intervening midnight, to be sure), payment at toll plazas could be through FASTag only. But, if you insisted on cash payment, your toll charge gets doubled!


Convenience of electronic payment has a positive premium of 100% over cash payment. My hand, faster than any pick-pocket’s hand could have done, went to my left back pocket where I carry my wallet!

Every currency note in my wallet, and I mean everyone of them, carried an IOU from the Governor, RBI.

I PROMISE TO PAY THE BEARER A SUM OF … RUPEES

Yes, in capitals and bold. To add to the solemnity of the IOU, we have Mahatma Gandhi looking in the direction of the promise on the currency!

Now, if indeed a vehicle passed a toll plaza (any one on the national road network) between February 16th, 2021 and today, and the user coughed up twice the toll charge in currency notes, the RBI Governor is guilty of having gone back on his promise to him/her/them/it (goods!).

You do not expect that from a high-level government functionary, do you?

But, that is exactly what this is. The RBI Governor told me that the note I had in my hand carries the value of its denomination, say Rs. 100/-. At this toll gate, I needed to pay two currency notes of Rs. 100/- to be waved off from the toll plaza.

This is highway robbery!

PIL, anyone?

Raghuram Ekambaram

P.S. I know the powers that be would have noted this and taken some corrective action, like an amendment to the RBI Governor’s promise. Government is there only to break its promise!

On a dry day, I thought this might not be a bad way to engage my readers.

 

 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The idea behind this is only reduce waiting time in the toll plaza. cash transaction takes a long time. fast tag transaction just takes a few seconds. This has reduced the length of the queues in the toll plaza.

They were having only one counter for cash payments and rest counters were all fast tags.

Tomichan Matheikal said...

The only purpose of a government is extortion of citizens, isn't it? Highway or janpath...

mandakolathur said...

Hello Unknown,

But, the news item said that if you paid by cash, your charges double. That is the point I was trying to make.

Whether this double jeopardy is still on, I don't know.

Thanks for your input and I agree with what you say, about transaction duration.

Regards,

Raghuram Ekambaram

mandakolathur said...

Thanks Matheikal.

Purpose? Hobby is perhaps a better word ... The citizen must also take some blame for it.

To be honest, I had been bothered by what I wrote for the past nearly one year; I still do not know whether what has been done by the government is legal. How can a promissory note lose value against another payment system? Why hasn't this point been tagged by civil society organizations?

Raghuram Ekambaram

N. Subramanian said...

They are having this rule to discourage payment by cash. What you say is theoretically correct. In many USA Toll booths there is no counter al all. The money is taken from a device that you have in your car and you have to recharge it by paying online. By this the traffic does not stop and is smooth.

mandakolathur said...

Thank you Mr. Subramanian ...

But, is it the best way? I am not sure.

Raghuram Ekambaram