Friday, May 06, 2016

Skewed nostalgia


The picture above is taken from a mural promo for a college cultural festival, and you guessed it, the theme, “#Nostalgia”.
That is the first point of contention, the title is.
In 1978, I wrote (actually wrote! Take that for nostalgia!) a letter and my address was “#408, Rose Lane ...” My parents wrote me back and started off the letter saying, “What is this #? Anyway, we are reproducing it and hope the letter reaches you!” The hash symbol, in those days, carried the meaning “Number” at least in the context of a street address. So, I read the title as “Number Nostalgia” and it did not make any sense to me.
Then I understood that the festival “#Nostalgia” is for the current generation and perhaps the immediately preceding one and not for near-dinosaurs like me.
Having said that, the near-dinosaurian collections as depicted on the mural did bring a huge smile to my face. I recalled most of them as belonging to times when I was a teenager or at best a 20 something.
The diskette! I am glad the artist did not paint the larger, thinner disk! But, the hour glass predates them all. I wonder where the artist got this idea (from the waist of actress Simran, you say?). Truly inspirational, nostalgic inspiration.
The camera on the bottom row is difficult to accept because even the current professional digital SLRs look the same. I had to exercise my brain to imagine it as a film SLR. Thinking is the last thing one does when immersed in nostalgia. There is incongruence here!
Mario and Pacman! I do not know how many dots Pacman devoured with me at the joy stick helm, but surely he swallowed thousands of quarters (1/4 of a dollar) of mine! Negative nostalgia.
TVs with dials, cars with circular headlamps, paper aeroplanes (this is how my generation spelt it!) and phones with wires (except the ones that blast away in one’s ears) are truly nostalgic. But, did you notice ... the car does not have a steering wheel! – driverless car! Not nostalgic ... tut, tut.
There are hordes of fans of Rajnikanth who would be seriously offended. The trailer of Kabali is breaking records and the people behind the mural thought he belongs to the “Nostalgia” – even if it be preceded by a hash tag – cadre. Such insults, the protagonist himself may let go of this slight but his fans will definitely not, even in the days of Vijay/Ajith et al. Beware!
Coming to the end of mural parsing, one last item.
The current generation thinks that we, of the older generation, are idiots, had too much time on our hands, or both. Look at the Tic-tac-toe square (third from the top along the right edge). None of my generation would fail to spot the incongruity/redundancy indicated in the picture. But, it did skip the artist and more relevantly, it took the genius (used very loosely) of someone from my generation (yours truly) to spot this blemish, and no one else the wiser earlier.
On the mural, the game was started by ‘O’s (interpreted from the fact that the completed square has 5 ‘O’s) and ‘X’ comes out the winner. The ninth stroke in this case belongs to ‘O’, who would have lost the game by then! So, why would she put the last stroke ‘O’? Had time on her hands or being stupid, not noticing she has already lost.
Well, that ends my mural gazing and parsing (better than (navel) lint gazing, I suppose).
Raghuram Ekambaram



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice parse sir. Thank you for the new word (parse) I learnt today. I accept most of your views and have one thing to be shared.
Depicting rajinikanth’s portrait in the mural, we saw it as not just rajinikanth but as mannic baasha.
In that times each and every kid would have repeated that famous dialogue “na oru thadava sonna nooru thadava sonna matri…” at least once and I too have done it many a times. Hence I felt little nostalgic seeing his photo. Thank you sir
Balaji

mandakolathur said...

Thanks Balaji. Hope you are doing OK in your exams. Don't waste time on my useless scribbles. Thanks for elaborating on Rajnikanth. My favourite is, "en vazhi, Thani vazhi" from Padaiyappa, as told to Nilambari!

RE

palahali said...

These are some remarks about how life has changed. In the 50s and 60s one used to rarely see men with kumkum on the forehead. It has become quite common now. Another change ( which is much more interesting) is that in south salwar kameez was seen rather rarely. But today even
small towns and villages have girls wearing these (R Guha had an interesting article on this quite sometime ago). I think for ladies it is a step forward since they did it inspite of
objections by men) ; for men wearing Kumkum is a step backwards - outward show of religion and the need to show off

mandakolathur said...

As an insider, let me say something regarding men wearing kum kum or other marks of religion on their forehead - it is de rigueur in certain places, supposedly not affiliated with any religion. But, that is not nostalgia; rather it is reconstructing nostalgia!

Thanks for the additions, pala

Raghuram