Friday, February 19, 2016

A poser to a Hindu familyman

In your household you have females (your wife, daughter, sister) who are proscribed from visiting the shrine of Lord Ayyappa at Sabarimala. Would you then visit the shrine?
If you answered yes, which of the following views do you subscribe to?
1.    I will seek the lord’s blessing on behalf of the whole family. I am a good enough double agent, for the womenfolk and for the lord too!
2.    I do not care about my family. It is each for himself or herself.
3.    Yes, I do feel bad that my womenfolk cannot seek the blessings of the lord directly. But, I will seek their forgiveness and plead to the good lord to allow them to visit his shrine.
To my small mind no other views on this issue emerge.
But, tell me why you cannot say this to yourself – “I will not visit the shrine till my womenfolk are also allowed to visit. Of course, it is their choice to visit or not. But, they shall not be barred from visiting it.”

Raghuram

No comments: